The Case for Onboarding
“We recently hired a few folks and we’re struggling with their performance. It’s so frustrating.”
This is something I hear from clients quite often.
The solution is quite simple.
No matter how skilled or experienced a new hire may be, they all need:
– An Onboarding plan that outlines the vision (‘where’) of the company, their role, sets expectations and captures 30/60/90 day milestones.
– Their manager to walk them through the Onboarding plan and test for understanding.
– Their manager to meet with them weekly (15-20 mins) for the first 90 days to support their integration into the business and manage to expectations set forth in the Onboarding plan.
– When something isn’t happening that should be (or vice versa), it’s discussed and another meeting is set to review progress.
– If you follow this process you know within 90 days if the new hire is working out or not.